Friday, November 23, 2012

Snow for Thanksgiving



Nothing like an empty train station to make going to work fun.  We each got our own door getting on...

We got snow for Thanksgiving, as usual, even though it was 55 degrees in the morning.  Early 20s now.  Quite the drop.  But that's normal too...

I cooked my first turkey yesterday, with a friend, and it worked well.  Oven bags work...  We got a 15 lb. bird but then a family of six bailed, leaving less than ten of us, with three vegan/vegetarians, so there are a few leftovers...

I finished Pirate Cinema with mixed feeings, and now am returning to one of the books that scared the bejeesus out of me as a kid: Salem's Lot, by Stephen King.  When vampires were scary and didn't have detective agencies, fated romances, or comic timing.  And small towns were... well, what they always are in horror novels.  Very very small.

I forgot it started with the opening for Hill House as an epigram.  Very few writers can open a story like Shirley Jackson and terrify instead of evincing giggles.  I spent last weekend watching youtube videos of exploring abandoned farmhouses and rural mansions and hotels (like the one in The Shining), so Marsden House is extra vivid as King describes it.  Not sure I'm gonna sleep until it gets light out again at night...

No comments:

Post a Comment