Monday, January 28, 2013

Freeze, thaw, refreeze



The fountain is twice as tall as me.  And blue.

Due to shorter waits than I anticipated, I am reading too many books at one time.  In audio, The Man Without a Face, a biography of the current leader of that country that is about to ban all homo promo, by Masha Gessen.  It's been interesting to find out how little I really know about the glasnost years, despite studying the language at that time.

I'm reading The True Deceiver by Tovw Jansson, of Moomin fame.  The intro by Ali Smith is whetting my anticipation.  Jansson uses few words, but to great effect, and this is a tale of outsiders in a small town, a very Nordic town.

Then there's The Married Man, by Edmund White, alongside Nights In Aruba by Andrew Holleran.  The Violet Quill stalwarts do have a way with words.  I am slowly working through both their oeuvres, trying to savor them.  Holleran's prose really is magical, and he has intriguing insights into people's quirks and obssesions.

Otherwise, there is a lot of fresh snow.  Sneg!  I might be uninjured enough to ski, we'll see...  The writing project is slowly percolating, seems to be on track, if I can keep from jinxing it by saying this... 

No comments:

Post a Comment