Thursday, April 10, 2014

MSPIFF

It is in fact time for the Minneapolis Film Festival to dominate my time for three weeks, and drain my wallet.  I have seen four films so far and missed about six that I really wanted to see but conflicted with work or swim class.  I just mapped out the rest of the schedule, but seriously, how does one decide when three to four must-sees are scheduled all at the same time, and many start at 9:30 or 9:45 p.m. mid-week.  It's tough to prioritize. 

Today I got to work ridiculously early so I could trot across the bridge and see "Harmony Lessons, " from Kazakhstan.  I have a soft spot for Kazakh movies- they're often very beautifully shot and the kind of lyrical, highly allegorical type of film I like, and it doesn't hurt that I am usually practice my limited Russian.  Harmony Lessons is more in Kazakh but well-acted, by non-actors including the lead who was discovered in an orphanage, and really provocative.  Reviews on the web do it justice and compare the filmmaker to lots of famous auteurs like Bresson. 

They do not lie.  The film is brutal and not for the squeamish but many-layered and very worth seeing. Here is the trailer, with Russian subtitles, all I could find...  More later on the other films I've seen.


Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment