Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Not Before Sunset

A review of Troll: A Love Story (American title)/Not Before Sunset (British title, and apparently more literal translation) linked to this song with English subtitles , Päivänsäde ja Menninkäinen, sung by Tapio Rautavaara.  Something like the sunlight fairy and the goblin.  Here it is with  Finnish subtitles, so you can sing along.  This adds another layer to the book, as I prepare to reread.  The wordplay in the book is fantastic, even in translation, and the play on "fairy," natch. 

Really nice voice.  Sadly, seeing any video on youtube makes me want to hear "What Does The Fox Sing?". My niece has warped my brain forever.

I just finished Antti Tuomainen's The Healer, which was an interesting mix of detective thriller and realistic apocalyptic SF.  The novel reads as very poetic in the translation by Lola Rodgers, and apparently in the original Finnish, appropriately enough for the poet protagonist.  But it really moves along too.  Tapani is searching for his wife, a journalist who was investigating a serial murderer/environmental activist, who turns out to have ties to almost everyone Tapani turns to in his search.  I want to say more, but later, it's long after sunset and this goblin must crawl into the cave.

I'm working my way through the Lethe Press Wilde Stories anthologies, too, after seeing their pretty covers on the library shelf next to a book I was looking for.  So far some really good stories, even the Lovecraftian one.  (As far as I can tell, Lovecraftian.  Not my thing, and not always pulled off very well.  But with a light touch, yeah.)  Stories I had not read yet by Richard Bowes and Christopher Barzak, hard to resist. More later on those books as well...

Posted via Blogaway


Posted via Blogaway

1 comment: