Sunday, June 26, 2011

Jailbreaking


Today, after a long day of running a 5k, wandering Loring Park looking at cute dogs while waiting for the parade to start, clapping and whistling, joining the MN AIDS Project briefly to say hi to a co-worker, winding through Loring again, walking back down Hennepin to see the end of the parade, beers at Brits pub with a school board contingent and watching desultory lawn bowling, then walking dogs...  my very nice GF linuxed my box for me.

Yes, you read that right, the laptop I have been avoiding using for almost nine months after too many episodes of Vista fail is now a defector.  I can be very slow to make  decisions, and a new job put me off starting any complicated new projects for most of that time, but I finally bit the bullet. 

The combination of Cory Doctorow explaining how well Ubuntu works for him, a book finally being in the library when I was cruising the IT shelves, and the GF partitioning her old XP desktop with much success broke through my inertia.

Plus the Clarion West Write-a-thon made me realize it was probably time to get back on the horse.  I've been writing in longhand and on my Android, but taking a break from finishing and submitting, while trying to get up to speed in the day job.  No more excuses...

No comments:

Post a Comment