Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I'm not a woman, I'm a hatchet




Yes, I am reading Judy Grahn. 

"Our point was not to be men; our point was to be butch and get away with it. We always kept something back: a high-pitched voice, a slant of the head, or a limpness of hand gestures, something that was clearly labeled female. I believe our statement was "Here is another way of being a woman," not "Here is a woman trying to be taken for a man." (Another Mother Tongue 31)"

I'm not a girl

    I'm a hatchet

I'm not a hole

    I'm a whole mountain

I'm not a fool

    I'm a survivor

I'm not a pearl

    I'm the Atlantic Ocean

I'm not a good lay

    I'm a straight razor

look at me as if you had never seen a woman before

I have red, red hands and much bitterness (WCW, 25)

she has taken a woman lover

whatever can we say

She walks around all day

quietly, but underneath it

she's electric;

angry energy inside a passive form.

The common woman is as common

as a thunderstorm. (WCW)

"My reading of Grahn is centered in her concept of "the common woman," a figure that, like the vampire, encompasses the queer feminine as aporia and the "phallic" woman's self-reflected gaze at the monstrous "other," her double. The term lesbian as metaphor for this "crossing" of Woman as sign and the woman as creator, is based in lesbian theory, which recently has focused on a destabilized or provisional identity for political purposes, removed from a destructive or simply "tired" binary paradigm." - Billie Maciunas

 More. 

No comments:

Post a Comment