Sunday, September 1, 2013

Labor day




I'm headed in on a fine Saturday morning, the first non-90 degree day we've had in weeks, or it seems like that anyway.  Don't defame us public servants.  No one else is headed in today to make things keep moving along, except some flight attendants and guys who're clearly headed to open restaurants.  (My old job, I do not envy them. It's hot and greasy in the kitchen, and restaurant managers... Yeesh.)

I'm listening to China Mieville's City and The City, which I just started and have to restart cos of some VERY LOUD kids on the light rail yesterday who were pulling the "You're racist if you complain or move away" schtick that doesn't really work that well in public transportation when it's not the suburban Vikings/Twins crowd. 

I'm also reading Outlaw Platoon, about the U.S. troops in Afghanistan.  True war stories, my guilty pleasure.  It's interesting, from the POV of a new platoon leader set down in a remote village with lots of local political intrigue.

(Later) I made it home, napped, ran 5 miles, biked to the store, and now I'm making black Russian sourdough and chipotle raspberry chicken wings, while it decides whether it's storming outside.

I'm reading Riding Fury Home by Chana Wilson intermittently, but can't take too much of it at once.  It's fascinating - particularly as a look at daily life in the 60s/70s women's movement and lesbian circles, but a little too much of what I think about all day at work.  Will review it separately.

Later- I'm trying to rework the setup for these two different novels I got stuck on.  The setting in terms of time and place is not right in one, maybe just slightly off.  The other is not taking the characters where they need to go.  I think it's the characters, not quite realized enough.  They started as kind of stereotypes, so that's likely enough.  Stewing about them on the page is likely my plan for today- now Sunday.  Plus finishing the bread, which rises overnight, then five hours, easier to fit in a weekend.  Farmer's market in Kingfield and salsa canning is possible, too, if I'm not too lazy.  And it doesn't rain- it's hazy grey out.

Anyway...  Wrote this like I read and write fiction, in fits and starts...

No comments:

Post a Comment