Thursday, September 12, 2013

Why I'm excited about "Carrie" 2013



I was listening to Worldcon attendes discussing the trailer for the"Carrie" remake and totally disagreeing about the likelihood the movie would be both bad and as simplistic as the trailer, as I ran my 11 miles last Sunday.  But I wasn't really sure I was not offbase.  Hadn't seen the trailer.  Or the movie.

But I've been excited because Kimberly Pierce is directing.  Kimberly Pierce of "Boys Don't Cry" and "Stop Loss," which have similar themes of bullying, violence, and the externalization of shame and self-hatred.  These articles convince me it's worth a peek, as she seems to be focused on the queerer aspects of "Carrie," being truer to the book, and exploring those very timely themes.  I'd have to guess revenge and the thrill, horror, and remorse that come with it, or don't when they should, figure in too...

Article with interviews 

After Ellen video interview 

Oh, and Julianne Moore as Carrie White's mother- terrifying and bound to be interesting and different.  If not wickedly brilliant.  Todd Haynes has used her skills to great effect.

2 comments:

  1. An additional reason Carrie will be worth seeing is Chloƫ Grace Moretz. She has the screen presence of Greta Garbo.

    Before it comes out, check out "Let Me In". Stephen King called it the best horror movie in the last 20 years. Amazon has it for 48 hours for $3.99.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I realized that after posting, that she was in that *and* Kickass. It really is an atmospheric film, mostly because of her.

    ReplyDelete