Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Carrie (2013)




I saw this a while ago but haven't had the time to rave about it like I want.  I will take a brief stab at it for now...

Chloe Moretz is very very good, which is to say creepy, then brutal, yet demanding sympathy.  Julianne Moore is terrifying, even when still and silent.  The script's a little creaky, as the reviews say, but Kim Pierce hits the spots of King's story De Palma did not, and critiques teen movies in the process.  My hope this would be a very queer version was not misplaced.  For instance, fundamentalism, the small town brand of erotophobia, and bullying are linked to claw at the underlying horror of Othering and smothering in concert.  I thought it was semi-subtle and well done.  Brought me back to 80s repression yet mined current trends, at the same time.  More later...


No comments:

Post a Comment