Sunday, January 18, 2015

Some interesting discussions


These are random.  I'm researching several disparate things at once, and pretty much use my blog as a way to capture odds and ends I find on the interwebs, to keep my bookmark MB count down...

A Claudia Rankine and Lauren Berlant  conversation about art, identity, theory...

And there was gonna be more theory, but I got distracted by music.  Here's a good recording of Jake Bugg on KCRW's The Morning Becomes Eclectic.  I want to be annoyed by him (maybe more his local fans), but then he plays a solo or does an amazing cover like the one here of "Folsom Prison Blues." I watched this after a bunch of Joy Division, and it worked...

A Smiths video by Derek Jarman:  The Queen is Dead 

An acoustic song by Nirvana is that could easily segue into the current trad hipster scene:  Where did you sleep last night? 

One of the upsides of that scene is the bouying of Shovels and Rope's career: Live on the radio, KEXP Seattle.  Their self-titled doco is awesome, BTW.  The clear-voiced First Aid Kit.

Locals Doomtree in the same studio kicking it.   

Alabama Shakes.  And, leading into Monday, Nina Simone on "M...i" states, among others. A sobering  interview with her on BBC's Hart Talk, 1999, and of course,  The King of Love Is Dead

Making me think of Kenneth (Kenny) Saffold, who moved up here to MN and carried on the work as a leader in the Twin Cities legal community as well as his church and the larger community.  I was lucky enough to get to work with and be inspired by him, especially as he fought metastasizing cancer.  The packed house at his memorial service was a real testimonial to the breadth of his impact on people and how powerfully he touched their lives.  Anyway, missing you, Kenny...

I know, too serious.  Have some  Lizzo.  And Lizzo at Glam Doll Donuts and at the State Fair.  Yes.

Later now, I watching Almost Famous cos I want to see Philip Seymour Hoffman and I can't watch Capote again yet.  Plus the opening is killer. 

"Simon and Garfunkel is poetry." "Yes, it is poetry.  It is the poetry of drugs and promiscuous sex.  Honey..." Pointing at their eyes suggestively. "...they're on pot." ..."You do hate her,  you just don't know it yet.  ...This is a house of lies!". The kids combing their moustaches and beards and then tiny William...  "Who put such a high premium of being typical?" Frances McDormand is too good at playing the wacky hippie mom.  And Kate Hudson, etc.

But Hoffman as Lester Bangs really kills it.  "Ah, you made friends with him, didn't you?  ...I have seen you.  And you...are NOT cool.". Anyway...

Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment