Sunday, February 12, 2012

Decanting


During the AIDS epidemic, prior to the antiviral cocktails, I learned quickly to loathe the both-Party-oriented gay politicos who only cared about two agenda items, gay marriage and gays in the military.  But decades later, the actual likelihood as well as the subversive potential of both agendas has emerged.

This does make me realize the power of a critical mass of PFLAGS realizing the gay thing doesn't have to crush their mainstream dreams if society would just get over it too:

 WA state shakes.

Social change always moves in interesting ways.  That's the thing I'm noticing in reading old 80s and 90s political and social theory tracts.  I'm also noticing what so quickly gets forgotten, all the extreme acts of people being a&&hats in the moment.  The accounts of public meetings in the 1990s attempts to get a NY gay rights bill in Sarah Schulman's My American History, whew.  Flashbacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment