Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cyberpunk communism



Io9 has a nice spread on communist architecture of the SF bent: funky as the  sample above.  Check it out...

I "reread" Paolo Bacigaluli's story "The Tamarisk Hunter" today by listening to a podcast of it ( Original here. ) on  Escape Pod.  It made me wish more "SF" really focused on science with less sketchy economic and social context.  The interaction of branches of government, states vs. each other vs. feds vs. corporations vs. supragovernmental entities, and tech vs. human nature is well done here, as is fitting for a story about the future of water rights.

I'm deep into Edmund White's autobiography "City Boy" and his "The Beautiful Room is Empty" after being properly devastated by "The Married Man," one of the best "AIDS novels" I've read in my quest to dig them all out of the library shelves where they are buried.  His writing is addictive.  Style with a capital S.  Or something.  I must get back to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment