Saturday, April 20, 2013

Not to knock rocket science, but...



 Crucial application of the scientific method to magazine submissions.  Watch behavior and account for it.

I've been glued to the radio all week, thinking about the folks I know who ran it, who are all safe so I feel guilty, the folks I know who decided not to this year, like a number of coworkers, and how I would probably have been there just about that time waiting for or shepherding a tired runner if she hadn't twisted the ankle and let me take her on a hilly hike in Tucson. 

Going to work is not an escape, either, though I felt like the only East Coaster this week.  The coasts are very distant places to vacation once in a while, in flyover country, not the centers of attention 'coasters are to themselves.  Our TV coverage was focused heavily on local runners who were ok, including Scott Dibble, our very hardworking gay state legislator.

I've hit my horror quotient for the time being and have nothing to say that can add value...  It does make me disinterested in most movies and popular SFF for the moment, tho.  Tired of the glories and romance of battles, weapons, etc.  I'm reading Richard Hell's bio and a strength training manual for a break.

It makes me shy away from writing, too.  It sucks to be glib when you can't elude just how ridiculous it all sounds.   Roxane Gay of Pank magazine put it well:

"...What especially wearies me is having such a finely honed vocabulary for tragedy."  (Whole cloth here.) 

Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment