Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Avengers!




No, not the goofy comic book heroes/bad Whedon movie... *The* Avengers, the punk rockers with politics, from my formative years, i.e., ages ago... 

Coming to the TC May 10, as part of Girls Rhythm Fest, one of those great ideas local organizers have sometimes.  Cherie Currie of the Runaways Sunday night, and a whole bunch of other great bands.  Color me tickled pink, or at least my hair...

I have to admit to also getting a twinge of excitement about the Go-Gos touring with the B52s.  They were my first real concert, their songs are still catchy, and we did not have a ton of female rockers to pick and choose through in the 80s.  I can count on my fingers the women who appeared in the guitar and drum mags I pored over as a teen.  Our local scene had a handful of bands: Fire Party, Broken Siren, Strange Boutique with a female singer... Every woman made a mark.

I saw a documentary on Patti Stemple, the drummer from Hole, not too long ago.  Man, the lack of support she experienced when she needed help with a drug issue... problem... Was epic.  Finding out one of the few, and great, bigtime female rock drummers landed so hard really hurt.  I did not really pay attention to Hole until later, finding Courtney so annoying.  Now I really don't like her... Hole has some great songs though.  That's the weird thing about music, books, art.  The product can transcend the maker, and even being reduced to "product."

Anyway.  I have to go do a little dance, then finish the latest batch of sourdough naan, run in the 70 degree madness, and see what movies are playing at the MIFF in its final weekend.  The second Kazakh movie, Student, we missed due to massive snow just a few days ago.  Too bad, cos it was based on my favorite book from jr high, Crime and Punishment.


No comments:

Post a Comment