Thursday, July 4, 2013

Midsommer







Finally some good weather is making the garden and lawnmower-obsessed Minnesotans happy.  I biked home 7.5 miles, with a nice downhill several miles, and may have to try the to and from next.  I may take the wimpier path to, though...

The dogs don't like fireworks, but I am following my family tradition of making ice cream, albeit soy and without the old blue hand cranker.  The GF's son returned to his home briefly from fighting that deadly AZ wildfire, so there's something to celebrate. 

I'm not happy that the sequester has left them shorthanded and low on needed big equipment, though.  It's one thing to defund us desk jockeys, but drowning first responders in the bathtub is just plain destructive in all ways.  Shortsighted is blowing in the wind.  You don't need a weatherman to tell...  Just headlines.

I'm reading a bio of Mark Spitz and Borderliners by Peter Hoeg side by side.  Both studies in authoritarian pedagogies, it seems to work better for sports, when the pupil is very very driven, as well as physically gifted.  Borderliners has an interesting obsession with theories of time, as well as psychology, but it is weird, as in purposely obscure.

I have to get to work, to meet my write-a-thon goal of one hour a week.  While I actually have some free time. This experiment in triathleting is hard on the schedule.  Fun though, so far, though swimming is still eluding me.  It's harder than it looks... Kind of like writing.


No comments:

Post a Comment