Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Ha




The MSBA, our voluntary state bar, informs me I could get a 50% discount if 90% of the attorneys in my office joined too...  Herding fifty-some cats...  That would require skills way above my pay grade.

Speaking of shimmering fantasies, I just finished "The Spell," by Allan Hollinghurst.  Enjoyable, not exactly lite but lighter than his other novels that I've read.  Those were later, and had loftier ambitions, won Man Booker and all that kerfuffle.  It was nicely gay, not how straight people might write gay in trying to imagine gay life. 

The competition and understanding between the gay father and son were more interesting than the movies I've seen that tried to explore that.  What if the son's your average low level drug dealer and enjoying his sex appeal to the full- not the usual "keep it positive" special issue.  And not as out there as QAF because not TV in the age of sensation. 

Nicely done, overall.  The characters were a bit stilted at times, but in ways people truly are, in their heads.  They had self-consciousness and lack of it in human doses...


No comments:

Post a Comment