Saturday, August 3, 2013

The dog is skeptical.





So is Nena.

Watching me dance to "Let's Dance," playing on Teenage Kicks (The Current).  She's a Bowie purist.  But I remember trying to sound like Bowie did on that album, his voice deep and snarling.  That voice made the blonde bouffant and pop backing strange and artificial, as posed as any of his former guises.  Maybe.  The girl I like like liked was a huge fan, what can I say...

Listening to Tina Fey's Bossypants and wondering why I had delayed.  Freakin' funny.  She makes some timely observations about how straight people, even and maybe especially nerds and other unpopular people, have used gays for entertainment and succor, a captive audience, from a place of privilege.  I would say more, but she puts it very well from her own "oh, revelation about my past" POV.

I'm also reading Vestal McIntyre's Lake Overturn, which is slyer but just as funny in moments, a very gay take on "normal life" in Amrrca, in the form of Utah here.  The plot revolves in part around a science fair, so there's a geeky edge.

Diversicon is this weekend  with Catherine Lundoff and Jack McDeavitt as GoHs, and the GF's mom is in town.  I am trying to rev up onto the half marathon schedule again, after a two week break from various stupid injuries (no doubt from being tired).  I still plan to get some writing done, as I've been tossing some disparate things around in the noggin, not quite ready to throw on the blender.

Ah, Purple Rain.  Dig if you will, a picture...


No comments:

Post a Comment