Saturday, November 1, 2014

Ruska-aika

It is fall-to-winter again.  I'm not sure how that happened.  I was cold and snowed in and lazy, then just stayed lazy while it was briefly warm and darn hot.  Now I should be raking leaves but it's very windy.  That's my excuse, anyway.  Plus I'm warming my cat up.  He gets cold with all that long fur.

Instead I was watching a film about much-harder-working people, and working on my Finnish vocabulary:  Finns in the UP.  The 80s hair is cool too...

I was reading more Scandicrime books, but the Swedish thriller was very derivative and word heavy and the Finnish comedic noir was too crass and head hopping for me.  So I have nothing new to recommend in that vein.  The GF is hooked on Sigurdadottir's thrillers, and the latest ghost story is good: I Remember You.  Creepy.

I just started a biography of sculptor Edmonia Lewis that promises to be earth I shattering.  I'd like to learn more about her, anyway.  I know about the mysterious scandal at my alma mater but not enough about her art and later life.  Sounds like a lot of research went into the book, so we'll see...

Tomorrow the NY marathon is supposed to have massive headwinds.  The Lakefront marathon in Milwaukee was unreasonably cold when I spectated a couple weeks ago.  Good luck peoples.  I think I'm glad to be a lazy lump this season and only swimming, followed by the hot tub or sauna.  Did I mention it's cold? 

The trick-or-treaters last night were all bundled up or moving fast, and my fingers almost froze to the metal bowl.  Luckily, they did not snatch up all of the Pirate's Booty (cos you have to have a gluten free candy alternative these days, not just non-peanut).  That should keep me from raiding the leftover chocolate for a few days, time enough to dump it on my coworkers instead, that fine Halloween tradition.

The plan is to be less of a lump this winter despite ghost torn glute pain and the ice, frigid air, and snow they say is coming.  Skiing, running, writing, rah.  NaNoWrimo is here.  See, I'm throwing out words pell mell already...  Time to sit down and direct them a little more productively, then.


Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment