Sunday, November 16, 2014

Trapped

Well, not exactly, but it keeps snowing and I am dogsitting baby dog, who cannot be left alone.  Her BFF is working on her Flyball Master title while we shovel and cook up CSA veggies for the week.

The salad is an odd amalgam of veggies and crap I cleaned out of the fridge and cupboards, but it worked.  Chioggia beets, microwaved til tender and chopped, orange pieces halved, a few chopped walnuts and pepitas for protein, and lettuce. 

The dressing is tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, a touch each of cumin, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, and mustard, and palmfuls of parsley and arugula.  Goes with the potato, leek, carrot, arugula soup I made yesterday.  Fennel lemon peel bread is rising, using up some old buttermilk powder that was hardened into a ball. 

Slightly more hospitable in those dark corners of the kitchen...  Puppy helped by licking the floor.  Then we worked on the project of getting her to pick up a toy or ball and bring it back.  She will sometimes do this in the yard, but mostly if BFF the ball hog competes for it, growl growl. 

In the house, she's too shy and cautious, even with treats.  So far, she'll catch a soft cat toy but not a ball, but then spits it out.  Or nose a ball but not pick it up, with scorn and groaning about not just getting treats for offering downs and cute poses.  Shaking took a while, but now she offers the spotted paw almost every time, with only slight disdain.

I'm trying to finish Bad Feminist (Roxane Gay) before it's due.  It's very good, but better in chunks with breaks in between essays.  To think about them and because a lot of the subjects are heavy: racism, rape culture, Penn State, body image, eating and weight, even her pop culture analysis is not lite.  She almost has me convinced I should read the rest of The Hunger Games, which is a feat. 

Mostly I am nodding my head, glad *someone* can say all these things so well, in current terms, without making me groan or bite my tongue.  The dog is not impressed, but I will have to buy my own copy, as I suspected based on her columns, short stories, and tumblr posts.

Anyway, time to punch down dough and go shovel some walks for folks who need a hand.  We'll see how good her heel is, though she did great running yesterday, not pulling me over in slidy freshly falling snow.  Though if i'd had a sled or skis I think we would have been in business. 

She woofed at another (full) husky, very excited, which she has not done before then, before SIBERSKI SNEG!  (Even when the dude who has his Husky pull him on a scooter on the sidewalk goes by.)  Better than the Chewbacca yowl she sometimes does when she feels Treats Are Due for some feat of obedience.


Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment