Sunday, July 3, 2011

If the shoe fits


Read it.

The neighbors are having party with half their college class, which sounds a lot more fun than poring over "Linux for Dummies."

All my fellow geeks and writers seem to be at Convergence, down/ over in Bloomington.  With awesome pictures so far of that costume-heavy con...

But my dog hates fire crackers so much she ripped up the door frame last night when I went out to a party.  Tonight and tomorrow night will be spent trying to keep her from going nuts, with Benadryl the first tool in my arsenal.  So it seemed like a good time to figure out how my newly transformed computer works.

I should be more excited, but I still have a really bad taste in my mouth from W------ and all the planned obsolescence of the hard and soft ware industries that drive me batschtick insane.  I'm going to have to slowly sink down back into that big pot on the fire rather than dive in.

I also enjoy spending days, and days,  away from a computer.  Taking not quite a year off from staring at a screen except at work (where I stare, mouse, and type pretty much 8 hours at least per day) and not worrying about the hassles of computer ownership was very satisfying.  

Unfortunately, this whole writing thing requires their use; it's one of the few things I have not been able to do on a smartphone.  The 'no free time without guilt' thing about writing has also been a real drag since I started this 'more real' job after years of under- employment, independent contracting, and being able to write in the morning when my writer brain functions best.  I'm not quite over rebelling against sacrificing all my lounging, biking around, cooking, and  reading time to the beast. 

But, being a writer, whinging in print actually makes me feel better.  Plus I got some good running and biking in this weekend, and scored Foxy Falafel's beet felafel sandwich at the farmers market.  So, back to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment