Sunday, July 24, 2011

NY lurches forward



I was raised by my chosen queer family to be cynical about such things, in the era of ACT UP and Queer Nation, where the activists focused on marriage rights instead of more direct threats like the dying and job discrimination were distinctly conservative.  But this kind of thing, and changing political winds, did make me change my mind, to some extent:

"Phyllis Siegel, 76, and Connie Kopelov, 84, who have been together for 23 years, were the first couple in, receiving a waiver from the rule requiring 24 hours between a license and a ceremony. They were ushered right into the chapel. Ms. Kopelov used a walker as they were married by the city clerk..."  (New York Times, July 25, 2011, "After Long Wait, Same-Sex Couples Marry in New York")

Like seeing Phyllis Lyon and Del Martin in SF. 

Though some of my elderly faerie heroes are not into the monogamy thing, so it's not a clear cut deal.  Plus I was a divorce lawyer, so I'm just cynical.  But still.


No comments:

Post a Comment