Monday, August 22, 2011

Loch Hiawatha


It looked like one today, with mist hanging over the water and the edges all lavender and pink from reflecting the sky.  Maybe more Mists of Avalon meets my little pony, I don't know...

It was cool, anyhow.  And a relief to run in cold air, though still weirdly humid.

I see Ted Chiang won a Hugo for "The Life Cycle of Software Objects."  I was sort of rooting for N.K. Jemisin, because Ted has already won a lot of awards, but I tend to like SF better and TLCOSO was probably one of the best SF books I read last year.  Moxyland is up there too.   The Ten Thousand Kingdoms is dang good for the kind of gods and kingdoms kind of fantasy I don't usually like at all, though.  Well worth checking out. 

N.K.'s short fiction is da bomb, though, like  Non-Zero Probabilities.  (In audio too.)  Anyway, time to get some coffee and head to work.

2 comments:

  1. When I'm next resident in Killarney, you need to see the real mists of Avalon:


    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Aghadoe,_Killarney,_Co._Kerry_-_geograph.org.uk_-_344705.jpg

    Many times I listened to the guide lecturing, so, eventually, when I came across visitors to the 6th century abbey, I could give the spiel myself.

    N.K. fiction's the napalm, who could disagree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cleanthes: Ireland is one of the few places on my short list, and currently less problematic than places russic. Jealous... Our Nessie is cuter than the Scots' though. There's a new gaelic inscription on a bench in front of the downtown library, I swear it means "Life is better with whiskey." But I couldn't get a good translation out of the interwebs...

    ReplyDelete