Friday, October 7, 2011

Strange Horizons


 Strange Horizons is having their annual fundraiser, and a friend was listing his fave SH stories.  I have a few, but the story that got me started on reading SH on a regular basis was a Charlie Jane Anders story.  I read a good one in LCRW and was looking around the web for more.

Charlie Anders, "Source Decay"  

It's all the 'throwaway' SF niblets sprinkled throughout:  "She almost pointed out that the whole "cheating" motif felt weirdly retrograde, since society was on the verge of solving the monogamy issue any day now, using limbic encryption and isomorphic hormones."

 CA, "Horatius and Clodia" 

"A few Democrats kept asking about Big Brother issues. Would I keep records of who used me to buy what? Would I mean the end of privacy? The questions were silly: interwoven databases already tracked everyone's buying and spending in detail. And I couldn't store aggregate data linked to a single person's identity for too long without slowing my elegant algorithms. It would be like forcing Nijinsky to carry sacks of ingots."

The one I was thinking of seems to no longer be there.  But those two are pretty freaking funny.  I love the more gonzo sort of SF, which is often kind of very straight and male, with a particular flavor of 60s 70s 'of course the women exist to make coffee and lay you' sexism, but Ander's stories tend to interrogate gender, sex, sexism, and sexiness almost but not quite past the point of intelligibility.  Awesome...

No comments:

Post a Comment