Sunday, May 13, 2012

Divided attention



I got on to reading The Hunger Games so we can go see the movie, mostly so I can gripe about it in an informed manner.  It hasn't really held my attention yet, 75 pages in, but the GF liked it, so I'm plowing forward.

Meanwhile  I'm also well into Celluloid Activist, the recent biography of Vito Russo, author of The Celluloid Closet and a stellar gay (GAA) and then AIDS activist in NY.  Here's a rousing speech from him.  Here's an interesting interview with  Rachel Maddow about her AIDS activism, on a sort of tangent. 

Well, then I am also taking notes on Queer Injustice, by Joey Mogul, Andrea Ritchie, and Kay Whitlock.  I went to college with Joey, who is now a fierce lawyer and directs the Civil Rights Clinic at DePaul.  Watching a bio of William Kunstler a couple weeks ago made me remember I'd never got to this book.  A much-needed look at the stuff the large G-and-other-people organizations don't address, or at least not well.  Speaking of which, the City Pages had a weird article about local woman CeCe McDonald, who is on trial for murder after being trans-bashed and fighting back.  A glass in the face and all.  The City Pages has difficulty actually formulating ideas in their reporting on local people and events.  It's very post-Facebook coverage.  Typos and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment