Monday, May 28, 2012

The marathon was cancelled...




But luckily I'm a lazy runner and only registered for the 10k.  It was at night, a hilly course from the Capitol, around the U-W Madison campus, and up Observatory Hill, then down, then up again, and back to the Capitol.  Which means up a nice grade right before the final sprint.  Some nice views of the lake, glowy lights, and generally friendly runners.

The real reason for being there was of course Wiscon, the feminist science fiction convention, which was mellow and full of good conversations.  The Genderfloomp dance Sunday night and the hotel pool were the highlights for me, as well as several panels I'll discuss later and, of course, the Farmers Market.  My pointy Nina Hagen/Madonnaish costume was well-received.  Hopefully I didn't hurt anyone with the 'cones'...  If so, sorry...

We got to sneak away to visit my friend's hometown and a neighbor's goat and sheep farm for a picnic in the blazing sun.  Brats in beer and potato salad, rhubarb crisp, strawberry shortcake, and Norske Nook raspberry cream pie.  The kids sprayed us all with water to keep it from being too decadent.

Then it was back to debating race vs. class, planning for the zombiepocalypse, and plotting against the heteropatriarchy.  All in a normal days' work for the feminist cabal...

Addendum:

Apparently my partner in gender crimes (and probably crimes against dancing) came in third in her age group in the 10k.  (She's on the cusp of an age ranking change, so it's a good time to dominate...)

And I'm forgetting the sushi dinner with Mpls friends, the Outer Alliance party with book giveaways and good book suggestions, as well as friend Catherine Lundoff's release party for Silver Moon, her menopausal werewolf novel.  Seeing my Clarion West classmates Erin and Mike.  And much more...

2 comments:

  1. Yes, there were crimes against dancing. I blame the fundamentalists. I think the field must have been weak...my very average time should not have earned third.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're slowly improving at dancing at about the rate I'm getting faster.at running. Without crepitus... I blame the.fundamentalists too. What a coincidence. I know you secretly practiced the Footloose solo every day for years though. They just never give you the right music...

    I myself can only dance well to "What a Feeling." It's both a gift and a curse...

    ReplyDelete