Sunday, January 26, 2014

So cold





It's wearing everybody down.  The streets and gas stations were full yesterday with everyone rushing around to get ready for the next plunge well below zero, after only two days of partial- warmer but biting wind- relief.

The CSA farm is still keeping me cooking new things.  For warmth, I roasted carrots, parsnips, and cauliflower with olive oil, garlic and thyme last night and this morning made soy honey pumpkin to go with the chicken I needed to finish.  Beet meze, beet quinoa salad and borscht are all in the fridge with carrot ginger soup.  I still have a celery root, cabbage, and parsnips to eat before the next pickup.  May have to make something for the party of a coworker who is moving to Florida- good timing on her part.

I'm taking swimming classes at the Y to further my triathlon goal and so far it's fun and productive.  The age range is broad and the teacher is skilled but mellow.  My motivation to walk ten blocks to the gym after work to practice is nonexistent, the gym is full of January members, and there's no way I'm running outside at night.  I've managed to do some yoga and Nordic tracking, with running and skiing warmer weekends, but it's the blah season.

The GF got Netflicks and we started watching "Orange Is the New Black," which is surprisingly watchable and addictive.  I tend to dislike many of the shows and movies that get raved about as great lesbian or LGBTQAYaYa treats, but once in a while...

Teen werewolf movie "Jack and Diane" not so much.  Hated the werewolfy interludes, tepid, treacly dyke drama, and gratuitous college rape video scene.  Yeah. 

"Making the Boys," a doco about Boys in the Band, was interesting, with footage I'd never seen of gay Hollywood in the 60s and interviews with a range of people that had informative stuff to say that was not duplicative of the many films made about the Stonewall era.  I hadn't realized how many of the original cast died not long after the movie came out, in the early first waves of the AIDS epidemic.

I'm reading Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie, which was good enough in the first 50 pages to make me buy it when the library ebook came due.  It just got nominated for a PKDick award and has interesting things about gender and occupations, in a space opera-y setting.  So far the genderfrack aspects seem tacked on and showy, but I'm not that far in.

Also The Lovers, which I read about in the NYT Book Review and am bored with.  I reread After Delores by Sarah Schulman in a new Arsenal Pulp Press edition and enjoyed it and the new preface by her, classic Schulman incisiveness.  I just found two bona fide new lesbian novels that look promising, off the shelf, we'll see.  Have to save them for a reading drought moment...

Actual writing work has been occuring, nothing to write home about but better than the deep freeze of December.  Thoughts stirring again.  A couple of my CW classmates have things coming out- novels and a short story in Asimov's this month for Domenica Phetteplace.  Yay.  The latest installment of the Nightshifted series for Cassie Alexander, although it sounds like it's ending.  Fun reads, especially if you like actual medical knowledge in your supernatural romance...  Inspiring me to get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment