Saturday, January 4, 2014

Turnips



I'm browsing recipes this morning, while listening to Teenage Kicks on The Current, of course.  David Bowie turns 67 on Wednesday, she tells me, which makes me feel very old.  I'm having flashbacks of staying up late to try and tape videos (DC did not get MTV or any cable til I was gone, so no going to friend's houses for that).

Turnip tart, with variations from Stilton to goat cheese to vegan cream to simple carameized turnips, is looking like the best bet.  I used Daikon radishes, cabbage, and turnips in a kim chi vermicelli bowl for breakfast.  Golden beets will go part to juice and likely borscht, but maybe I can find something

new on the internets...

Boiling diced turnips in a little water flavored with soy sauce and honey is surprisingly good.  The CSA is keeping things interesting this winter, though each biweekly box feels a bit overwhelming at first, even split between 2-3 households.

We're having one and a half days of 20 degrees between deep freezes, so I'm shopping and maintaining the car, then holing up to write and finish watching a bad British sitcom before it's due.  Went skiing (cross country) on New Year's Day and fought finger frostbite half the time, though it was stil fun.  Not as crowded...

I did indeed finish Reamde in 2013, and enjoyed it to the end.  Neil Stephenson's other books that I read have lost me before or at the 3/4 mark, but this stayed interesting.  I'm now working.on a Sarah Schulman reprint, After Delores, and a gory Icelandic mystery.  Then I think the Tapir book is next.  A little shot of science in mid-winter goes a long way...  Anyway, happy new year and stay warm and dry if you can...


No comments:

Post a Comment