Thursday, January 30, 2014

Socked with snow



Surprise, that scant inch overnight plus two in the daytime... more like six plus by noon.  Peak at rush hour, of course.  Bring back the below zero.  Oh wait, that happens today too.  Welcome to Minnesota. 

I was listening to a podcaster from Chicago talking about the unusual just below zero temps.  Unfortunately, for us it's below -15 that's been freaking endless.  People's cars start in their garage, they go to work, car sits in outdoor lot, and whammo- it won't start.   Makes for fun times. 

The lightrail is better but understaffed from sick calls and trains get stuck and block other trains from mechanical problems.  Buses, luck be with you, too.  Siberia has it worse, I keep reminding myself...

So, The Virgins was underwhelming, though I did finish it.  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was due and I could not get into it again.  I'm bad at rereading light material, and the tech references - digital watch as state of the art- are very dated now. 

I'm trying a new workout schedule, mostly based on the Furman FIRST 3-2 plan for an intermediate 5k.  Interval run, tempo run, long run, and two cross training days.  Biking and swimming, with skiing and snow shoveling to vaguely train towards a sprint triathlon.  But more focused on upping my base running pace a little.  I'm so slow I'm a little off their pace chart...  Hope to get on it.  We'll see.  This first couple weeks is to shake off the cobwebs and see if I can handle the workload.  It's a little easier to get to the gym with no dog clock, so we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment