Saturday, June 2, 2012

Future Project




Reading an old book on feminist literary criticism (Making a Difference, edited by Greene and Kahn) in the context of analyzing fiction about lesbian werewolves and shapeshifters I strayed to read some reviews of The Second Sex.  I haven't read Simone De Beauvoir for a long time, and not in full since college 20+ years ago (ack!).

I'm writing this note to remind myself to try it in the original, because the English translations have many flaws.  El Leon, La Bruja, y El Ropero is on my non-English language reading shelf (for when I have more time to read) and would be an easier read, but the other books are not likely to get done any time soon.  (Like Borges and some French thriller, plus the Russian vampire novel I'm not competent enough to read in the original.)

It might be interesting to try my hand at a translation (of parts - it's long).  I'm a fluent reader if not communicator in French still.  Hmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment