Friday, July 20, 2012

How to Live in a Science Fictional Universe




I finally got ahold of Charles Yu's book, as an ebook.  So far it's pretty interesting, despite the laconic wordiness that originally made me hesitant.  It's growing on me...  It's kind of zippy and laconic at the same time.  Figuring out how to use Overdrive wasted time I could have spent reading, but it's not bad for phone reading.

"If you see yourself coming out of a time machine, run."  The best line so far.

I'm also reading Game of Thrones, because the GF had it lying around, and then bought it for me when she had to turn the library copy in...  Intensely readable.  It's rare that I truly like high fantasy, but Martin has the right touch to keep me plowing through 800+ pages without noticing the time.  In my youth we read all the Sword of Shannara bools again and again, and this feels like that- what the heck is gonna happen next?  How can things get any worse? 

Writing rule #1: Have the characters make the worst possible choices, every time.  Making this believable is the tough part... But if you can, gold...

No comments:

Post a Comment