Thursday, July 5, 2012

More 80s retrospectives




This old lady got to give a little history lesson to some very nice young gay men today.  One was asking about Bowers v. Hardwick and I started laughing a little, because it made me feel old.  It was the basis for my first arrest at barely 18 and a paper I wrote for 12th grade Civics class.

The visiting-the-Walker show  This Will Have Been Art has some great pieces in it, and certainly evokes the era in style and political content.  It made me want to see more than one Basquait, Weems,or Kruger, but the chance to see Gregg Bordowitz' "Fast Trip, Long Drop" and Gran Fury posters and Marlon Riggs getting some attention again was worth the trek to Free Thursday.  I may have to go back to see Nan Goldin's slideshow.

The series of shots of Keith Haring putting up his signature pieces in the NY subways was very cool.  And "Wild Style," wow...  Memories of kids toting linoleum or rug pieces and tearing it up, with non-saggy pants and those MJ style jackets...

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I'm reminded of the time that Scrooge was visited by the ghost of future perfect passive who told him, "Ebenezer, you will have been sorry."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. That made me laugh... I guess the Walker's taking a chance that it's art now too...

    ReplyDelete