Thursday, July 5, 2012

Reviews and reading



This Strange Horizons review of Rebecca Ore's second Vel book makes me feel better about feeling this way about the first book, despite the high wow factor of the concept.

I'm reading another Aqueduct Press book right now, Brit Mandelo's analysis of Joanna Russ, We Wuz Pushed.  It's quite interesting, with lots of quotes that both enhance the points being made and jog my memory of the books. 

The focus is on truth-telling as Russ's project, which rings true to me.  That's part of why I balk at the concept of the Heiresses of Russ anthology series.  Lesbian protagonists I'm all for, but that was not really the point or primary contribution of Russ, as far as I can tell.  Stories with scalpel blade analysis and finely pointed rage, yes...  Truth telling in this day and age, where we know so much and yet so little about other people, takes...  I dunno. 

I have to read that book before critiquing, but the title has been kind of a put-off.  Who can live up to *that* expectation?


No comments:

Post a Comment